Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wine for Breakfast

On Sunday, 03/30/14, I ran the Messina Hof Vintage 5K at the Messina Hof Vineyards in Bryan, TX.  This is 3 part half marathon and 5K run through three different wineries in TX put on by Texas Wine Series.  It was a beautiful day for a run....high at race start was around 50 degrees with the sun shining bright.   I've never been out to the local winery here, so this was all new to me.  It is a very nice establishment.  The run was out and back for both the half and 5K.  They had a nice turn out of runners for both races.  Our run was straight up the road that runs in front of the winery and back, which had a few hills on it.  I have not been doing much running during the week, so it felt great to get out and run.  I finished 6th in my age group (40-49) with a time of 28:41 (PR).  I even had a fastest mile PR of 9:08.
We (5K runners) even received a finishers medal.  Our bibs were even personalized too!  We received a complimentary wine glass where we could sample wine afterwards.  The post race snacks were very nice....cheese, crackers, bread, muffins, bananas, granola, water, coffee, flavored teas and wine.  The winery had tables and chairs set up in their courtyard for everyone to relax in and enjoy their treats.  I tried to enjoy my glass of wine, but I am not a wine drinker.  I'll stick to water.
I will definitely run this race again next year if it is scheduled for 2015.

And I am off....we started 15 minutes after the half marathoners

Coming down the hill towards the finish line
My finish....with a new PR (28:41)!
Pretending to like wine
Post race lounge area in the courtyard
Nice touches for a 5K race

No comments:

Post a Comment