Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Girls Just Want to Have Fun 5K

Last Saturday, 03/22/14, I ran the Girls Just Want to Have Fun 5K for the second year.  This is becoming a very popular race in town judging by the turn out.  It is a "girls only" 5K run.  Lots of ladies dress up, and it is just fun to see what everyone chooses for their costumes. 
This was this races second year, and they selected a different location for the 5K route.  It was in familiar territory.....this is the neighborhood where our running group does our long runs on Saturday mornings.  So needless to say, I did not have to familiarize myself with the route beforehand!  A few of my friends from the running group also ran the race.  Seemed like a normal Saturday morning for us....familiar route and familiar faces!   
This also starts the first race in the BCS Race Series which I have signed up for.  All of these races are great and well organized.  The day was a pleasant one....high 60's at race start, just humid with a few rain sprinkles here and there.  I have not been diligent on my running throughout the week since half training is over with.  I wanted to "run" this one to see how my 5K pace is.  I finally had a sub-30 run....YAY.  I finished at 29:33!!  I also PR'd my best mile effort at 9:26.  I really want to work on getting that down more with the 5K's I have scheduled in the next couple months.  Great finish with roses handed out to each finisher and gatorade served in plastic champagne glasses.  There was a chocolate fountain with assorted fruit and even beer.  It's great that us ladies get treated so special!!  Also, all of the volunteers were men.  This is a fun race, and I will be back again next year for their 3rd one.
Upon arrival
My "Girl Power" shot
Getting ready to start

My unflattering photographer finish line shot


Finished with my rose

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! I am running in a women's only 5K here in December and I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new PR, Speedy! Impressive, very impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! I figure this gives me something to work on before training starts July.

      Delete