On Sunday, 12/14/14, I ran the BCS Half Marathon for the second time. Last year, this race was my very first half marathon. Since then, I have run two others making this one my fourth half.
Wow, what a difference a year makes.........weather wise! Last year it was 32 degrees with ice still on the ground in spots. This year, not so much with the 62 degree start. Not ideal running weather for me! I never really had the nervousness about this race, not sure why. I did feel a bit apprehensive race morning on how my performance would be. I wanted to beat my time from last year, which would be a PR for me, but with the warmer conditions I put that hope aside.
I started out a bit faster than I had wanted to. My legs never seemed to warm up and find that "groove". To be honest, they felt like crap the whole time running. I kept a good pace going anyways. Made more short water & fuel breaks than I had planned for too.....stupid humid weather! Going towards the end (mile 10), I started calculating my finish time, and saw a PR was a possibility if I could just hang in there. All I kept thinking was just let this be over with and SOON! I hate that I counted down the miles left and dwelled on that. I just wanted to enjoy the race. This is a good race for my area here, but it severely lacks the spectators cheering the runners on. I was so glad to make that last turn & run downhill to the finish line. And, that my friends, was a PR! Only by 4 minutes, but PR nonetheless! So happy to receive my finishers medal from my workout fitness center owner, Brad. I'm sure he was thankful for the sweaty hug he got in return too! Then it was to the food....strawberry tart, breakfast taco, half of hamburger! The beer & margarita line was way too long for me to stand in. Water suited me just fine anyways.
I will run this race again because the course is relatively flat, and local charity support. I do hope they change the route up some just to give the repeat runners different scenery. Maybe next year, the spectators will be out cheering the runners on in full force!
Next stop for me will be the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in January. I'm excited about this one because the course is lined from start to finish with cheering spectators.
Waiting to start with Jeff from the running group:
A little past mile 7 on the course:
Done with medal:
That's pretty awesome to PR when the weather was so warm! Nice going! I'm looking forward to the spectators in Houston, for sure. And you have a good idea about them changing up the BCS route; it's getting a bit tired.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on a PR! I've never done a half, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to keep focused over 13.1 miles!
ReplyDelete