Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New Shoes : Not Much on Looks BUT Feel Wonderful

For the last two years, I have been a faithful Mizuno runner.  Lately, I have wanted to try another brand of shoes to see if I was missing anything spectacular.  I do love my Mizuno Wave Riders, so this was going to be a hard sell.  A few of my running group peeps have switched to the Hokas, and they all have wonderful things to say about them.  These are a bit lackluster in the looks department; therefore, I never gave them much thought.  First though that comes to mind.....moon shoes!  
We are well into week 5 of half marathon training, and last Saturday's run was probably one of the worst runs I have ever done.  Hot and humid times a million!  To the point it was stifling and hard to regulate my breathing.  That was the longest 4 miles ever!  So with crappy run done and sorrows drowned with some great Fuego breakfast tacos, off to the local running store I go.  What better way to compensate for a less than stellar run than with new shoes....right?!?!  I went in open minded and said I would like to try neutral shoes in other brands than Mizunos.  The Hoka One One Cliftons were immediately recommended.  Sure why not, let me try those bad boys on.  Holy smokes......clouds just appeared underneath my feet!  They felt amazing as I'm running back and forth in the store with them on.  Also, I cannot believe how little they weigh....mere ounces for such a massive looking shoe!  Needless, to say I was SOLD.  Scored them at a great deal too being I had my running group coupon for 20% off and it was tax free weekend.  I went with the plum / fuschia ones.  
I got to really try them out on Tuesday for my hill workout.  Took a bit to adjust to the transition from my Mizunos to the thicker soled Hokas, but they did not disappoint.  I'm excited to take them for my long run on Saturday morning.  Hopefully, they will make the woes of running in humid weather a bit better!
My new kicks:

Floating up the hill


6 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you like the Hokas. They are my absolute favorite shoes and I can't imagine running in anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never gave Hokas a second thought, but yours don't even have too big of a sole and I think they look cute! I may need to try these out next time I'm in the market for new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You definitely have to try them.....you will be amazed.

      Delete
  3. Moon shoes - you nailed it. But heck yes to the cloud description, too! We are going to have quite the Hoka gang at running club - love it!

    I didn't know you had a bad run, too, on Saturday. Mine was horrible. Good to know I wasn't alone, but I sure hope both of us have a much better run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be only up from last Saturday.....
      JFR Hoka style!!!

      Delete